What is the RTO trying to tell us?



Picture 091 Today, the wait for the school van was tedious. The van, a Maruti Omni in my case, is operated by a private owner. This service was recommended by the school authorities. My daughter attends a school that is a small organization and does not offer classes beyond KG. They cannot afford a bus of their own. So, they can only recommend a similar service run by an external party. But they are still kind enough to act as mediators whenever a problem occurs. The problem always is about money.

After waiting for 30 minutes, I dropped my daughter to school in my car. At the school, the authorities told me about the strike organized by the the van operators to protest the lightning inspection by the RTO in Banashankari and subsequent diktats on the number of children allowed in such a vehicle.

I have been blissfully ignorant about this issue of overcrowding inside such school vans. My daughter is the first to be picked up and last to be dropped off. So, I see her going to the school in an empty van. The price they charge is exorbitant. But this arrangement also gives me an opportunity to start my day at a lethargic pace.

I was relieved when my daughter named only 6 other children in the van! It is still crowded. But then, what if she has to travel in a general compartment on a train. It is better to get her accustomed to the little difficulties of life. Thus, I reasoned.

I also read the story on TOI. The RTO inspected the vans accompanied by the crew from TOI. Now, I wonder what was the motive behind this operation.

Was the RTO trying to generate public awareness?

Was the RTO trying to signal us to brace for a hike in the school transportation as the law is coming down on the van operators with vengeance?

Was the RTO trying to stimulate the local economy by generating opportunities for more van operators?

Was the RTO trying to generate more revenue for the government?

Tags: Musings,Bangalore,Parenthood,School,Van Operators,RTO

Comments

  1. Children commuting by private vans is a normal routine in Delhi and also normal is the overturning of the vans.
    Schools get their cut from the van operators a nd are actually not responsible for accident, which may take place.It is a money making racket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. money money money makes the world go round...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never trusted the private vans. Luckily daughter has the option of school bus.

    And I guess if somebody didn't take any measures to stop overloaded vans, then accidents on front pages of papers will get us all worked up, and up in arms when the damage is already done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. private buses was a common thing even when my kids went to school in Pune. But here the story is a bit different, though the buses are still private, the school has a say in the matter of the number of children a bus can carry, and there is no standing allowed at point in time on a moving bus. This is a rule by the Royal Oman Police. This pretty much takes care of the numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the common problem of parents who have school going children.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here, I see autos packed with atleast 10 children and their bags hang out of the vehicle. It is dangerous. The check by RTO happens anytime some thing disastrous occurs. After which all is forgotten and the rules are relaxed once again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment