Can you remember names?

Are you good at remembering names? When you meet a lot of people during a formal or informal gathering, can you remember names? I am not good at this. In fact, I don't posses no such ability. I am really bad at it; so bad that I have to lean over to the friend nearby and ask, "What is that person's name?". 

According to the experts, there are two ways of remembering anything. One is by associating to something that can be recalled easily. I have friends who can do that. They can regurgitate complex equations (and even chemical formula) by equating it to acronyms. Don't ask me how they do it! It comes naturally to them. Yes, "naturally" is the keyword. The second way is by repetition. But how can you repeat someone's name to memory during the first meeting. Imagine saying, "So, you are John! John. John. John". That is ridiculous. So I prefer leaning over to my friend; easier and cleaner.

There is one friend of mine who prefers a less complex way of dealing with names. If you ask him, it is much more direct way. Direct or not, I leave it up to you. So, what does my friend do? When he can't recall the name, he asks the other person, "So, tell me my name!". The other person struggles and eventually apologizes for not remembering his name. Then he says "Don't! I also forgot your name. I'm Joe. Tell me your name now".


Comments

  1. :) Same problem here.

    Wow! I was thinking and writing about this same topic last week. Never got time to finish it. Hope to do in the near future...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Dom - :) Great minds think alike... But in order to post first, you need to be quick. :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a good information and useful to others who is not remembering the names. Thanks yaar

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Latha - Hope this helps. Please keep in mind these methods were never tried by me. So, enter at your risk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. good post buddy..i have serious probs remembering names...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Ramesh - :) Thank you. I still haven't come across a perfect antidote for this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this bad habit of forgetting names but never forget the face.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @SRA- I think we are all good with faces. But we struggle with the names!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Nona..your post reminded me of this post I read sometime back:

    http://gtoosphere.blogspot.com/2011/12/inventions-s1e04-spelling-bee-trick.html

    read it..this guy's one of my favorite bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am fairly good at remembering names...I rarely forget it though. I don't struggle there but there are other areas where I struggle like roads. It was not the case back in India...but here in Dubai I tend to forget the directions and roads very often:))

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Ana_treek - Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @DeepazArtz - You are blessed! For directions, you have google maps. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment