Is flying coach cheaper?

A few weeks ago, I came across a tweet concerning the finance minister of Greece, Yanis Varoufakis. The tweet attracted my attention because Yanis was traveling coach.  The act resonates well with the economic turmoil unfurling in Greece. Who wants to spend the money on luxuries when you are struggling to get your finances in order? But isn't it a security nightmare? 

Yanis flying coach brings me to a chairman of a big company who loves to fly coach although he is wealthy enough to travel first class or business class. He doesn't like to throw away money. This characteristic might be the what has made him rich in the first place. While I was talking to my friend about this chairman. My friend says it is untrue. To his credit, he is more knowledgeable than me.  Now, the chairman travels business class. The chairman no longer travels by coach.

My friend explained the reason to a surprised me. The chairman, being a prominent citizen, should be given a highest level of security. This directive dictates a certain area should be cordoned off around him which means a certain amount of seats has been booked without being utilized. When the bean counters did a cost benefits analysis on traveling coach versus business class, the latter was cheaper because of the security constraints.

All that glitters is not gold. The first looks can be deceptive. A news can be sensational but when you dig deeper, it might not make any sense. So I advice you to have that pinch of salt ready with you.

Tags: Musings, Coach, Travel

Comments

  1. Interesting. I would think that traveling coach also means a willingness to sit with the rest of us ordinary folk. Otherwise what is the point?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tend to think this means accessibility. But with a security cordon, are these leaders really accessible? I am sure there are many parts of the world where you can walk up to a leader of the state in order to initiate a conversation.

      Delete
  2. Nice post...I really didn't know this...

    http://scribbleyourthoughts.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, sometimes what looks cheaper is not really cheaper.

      Delete

Post a Comment