Cornwall: Boscastle

Note: This post is the second in a series about my travel to Cornwall.
See the first in the series by clicking the link: Cornwall: One more time


View from the Boscastle Lookout Tower
Boscastle is a village and a fishing port in Cornwall. Both of the facts were evident once you pull into the village. Boscastle is accessible using B Roads. The approach road cuts through mountains. I got the first glimpse of Boscastle from the approach roach. I saw a white colored building standing on top of a cliff. Alone and regal, it stood at the top. As soon as I saw this building, I wanted to climb the cliff and spend time there. While I was thinking about the trek up the cliff, the road gradually descended to the center of Boscastle.

Boscastle is a tiny village. The pleasant weather attracted a lot of vacationers. I was lucky to find parking in the village.  There was a stream running through the village. I followed the stream into the harbor. The water levels in the harbor were low. So the boats were perched almost on the sand bed.  The stream of water flowed into the sea. On both sides of the stream, there were ancient buildings. The buildings served as shops, restaurants, and hotels. Boscastle looking like an Austrian village tucked away in the mountains. The path from the sea to the harbor is enclosed between two cliffs. We decided to explore the left cliff on the left side as it seemed family friendly.

While climbing up the path, I noticed a building at the top. It was the same building I saw a few minutes back while driving into the village. At that time, I didn't realize this fact. The path was steep. So I stopped and contemplated. There was two gentleman walking down the path. Seeing our doubt-ridden faces, they insisted we take the path as the view was spectacular. We climbed up to the building which I later came to know was the Boscastle Lookout Tower. The view from this point was breathtaking. The light was falling on the water and spilling all over the surface. The water looked like milk in the glare. The rock formation at the edge of the cliff provided a good vantage point. Standing on those rocks, you feel euphoric. You feel victorious arrogantly looking down at the vanquished.

Boscastle Lookout Tower
After spending a considerable time on the lookout tower, we descended to the village. We saw a lot of people on the cliffs. They were hikers, runners, and picnic-goers. Even though the rock formation is dangerous for ships and humans, boats were still coming into the harbor, and people were running or picnicking on top of these cliffs. On the walk back towards the village, my mind repeatedly revisited the view from the lookout tower. Never in my wildest dreams could I conjure an image resembling what I saw from there. The view was possible because I listened to the advice given by two strangers and pushed myself into climbing up the cliff. It was a strenuous climb but not a dangerous one. I felt blessed.  I might not get up every day to savor this view, but I was lucky in seeing it in this lifetime.

Resting after the strenuous climb
When we got down to the car, we had decided on the next place to visit. Padstow. But Padstow would turn out to be a disappointment, and I would discover a hidden gem named Porthcothan Bay.

Comments

Post a Comment